Sketching at St Stephens Cathedral
St Stephen's Cathedral was opened on 17 May 1874, superseding Old St Stephen's, which still stands alongside it. A Gothic Revival building built of porphyry and freestone, the new Cathedral was built in stages: The foundation stone was laid in 1863, with the intention of constructing a grand building to the design of architect Benjamin Backhouse. With the economic crisis of the 1860s, work on the building ceased in 1864, and when construction was resumed in 1870, it was to a smaller and simplified design by the Brisbane architect, R. George Suter. Two sandstone towers were added in 1884, and the sacristy and simple transepts were added in 1922.